19 June 2011

Happy Father's Day



I'd like to wish a Happy Fathers Day to my Dad.

I really wish I could be spending the day with him, but that's not possible.

My dad passed away unexpectedly on 19th May 2010, aged just 55 years old.



We may not have always had time for each other, but I loved him nonetheless. My dad taught me to read and how to ride a bike... He passed on his passion for music and his love of animals and fig rolls.



I could never thank him enough for introducing me to music. He taught me that it's okay to like stuff that isn't necessarily "popular" or even mainstream and it's okay to step outside of your normal genre. He was one of the few people I know who can go from listening to Buddy Holly to The Beatles, Vengaboys to Enya, Meatloaf to Lindisfarne or The Everley Brothers, even Jive Bunny! To you he might not have had the greatest taste in music but he was so passionate about it.



When my dad passed away, one of the things I kept was his "stack" (you'll have to google it) and his records. There is nothing more perfect than listening to your favourite album on vinyl...the first time I listened to Adele's '21' it was on my dad's record player.

I wish I'd have spent more time with my dad when he was alive.



There are times when I find myself watching a movie that I think he'd like (though falling asleep as soon as he seen the opening credits was usually the case), I can't watch 'The Boat That Rocked' without crying because everything about the movie reminds me of my dad.



There'll be times when I go out for dinner with my family and I think about how many plates of food my dad would eat, or what would be his favourite...then I get a sinking feeling in my stomach.



There will be times when I miss him so much, I won't know how i'll get through the day. Days like my wedding day when I have nobody to give me away and I don't get to have a father/daughter dance, or if I ever have children.



Then there are days like today when I just miss him...for no other reason than the fact that he was my dad and I love him and he's not here.



Happy Father's Day, Dad.
I love you x

This is the song I was named after, dad's choice, of course. My sister told me that when I was born he dedicated the song on the radio to me & my mum.



And a song that will always remind me of him;



Laura x

2 comments:

  1. what a lovely blog Laura - made me think about my dad too

    Maureen (Molly R)

    ReplyDelete