02 June 2011

Sorry I haven't blogged much lately!

I had a lot of family events going on over the last two weeks.

Last Thursday I travelled to Wolverhampton with my little family for my auntie's wedding. My nieces were bridesmaids and they looked beautiful, even if the youngest did scream through the entire service!

It was nice to be able to buy a pretty dress (in a smaller size!) for the wedding though. We left the evening do early on Friday night for the journey home.

Saturday was my nanna's 75th birthday. My sister and I had been planning a surprise party for her at the Holiday Inn and after months of planning and keeping it a secret we were over excited & very stressed! We had a sneaky suspicion that she knew about it, but after seeing her reaction when she walked in, I genuinely believe she didn't have a clue!

We invited her family from London, all of our family from up North and a few of the people she works with. It was a really nice night with entertainment from Peter Brown, a beautiful cake from Scrummy Mummy Cakes and Martin Kirby taking photographs for us.

We also paid for our nanna and her sister to stay at the Holiday Inn after the party. Their room was huge with a double bed EACH! I surprised her by putting the room key in her birthday card but it fell out when she opened it - she didn't even realise!

This is my nanna looking very happy/surprised/excited;


And her beautiful birthday cake;

I don't think I have any other photographs from that night that can be blogged without embarrassing my family or offending your eyes, so i'll leave it at that!

Monday was spent in the kitchen cooking up a storm for my cousin's birthday party. Typical British 'bank holiday' weather meant our plans for a BBQ/garden party were dampened (quite literally!). We settled for an indoor BBQ instead and I roped my mum into helping me. My favourite bit of the day was embarrassing my cousin by singing 'Happy Birthday' to her. I didn't enjoy when her cake was cut though. I made it myself and it took 8 hours!!!!!! After messing up my first attempt (which is rather unlike me!) I then had to remake 24 cupcakes and a 7" sponge, cover with icing and decorate. Of course, she couldn't have a standard cake, she wanted it to be Zebra print. Then I over complicated it further by suggesting the use of non-toxic black glitter...

Here's how it turned out;


Laura x

No comments:

Post a Comment