06 June 2011

You are beautiful.

I logged into twitter this morning, which is my usual routine, but today I saw something different.

One of the girls I follow had retweeted things from a pro-anorexia account, advising how to starve herself so she could lose even more weight.

I'm no stranger to weight loss strategies, I've struggled with my weight my whole life and would love to be a UK size 8-10. Of course i've been jealous of my 'skinny' friends and have down days and fat days, but who says you can't be beautiful no matter what size you are?

I sent a tweet to every person I follow, telling them they are beautiful and I'm amazed by the reactions I received.

Some people replied with a simple "thank you". Some people were a bit confused and replied "err, ok?". Others replied "omg thanks! You really made my day", that was lovely to hear! But what really surprised me was that a lot of the replies were from people that sounded disbelieving, or people that replied "I'm not, but thanks. You are though" like I'd been fishing for a compliment in return.

It upsets me that some people have such low self esteem that they feel they can't accept a simple compliment, but it upsets me further that they obviously don't get compliments like this often enough.

I'm not going to get all "preachy", but spread the love a little bit today. Tell someone you love them, tell that girl she has pretty hair or you like her dress... Compliment someone, you'll feel great, but they'll feel even better.

Laura x
P.S. You can follow me on Twitter HERE

No comments:

Post a Comment